4.12.2010

Happy Grilled Cheese Month!

What? You didn't know it was National Grilled Cheese Month? You didn't count down the days until April 1st with some serious lactaidelicious anticipation?


OK, me either. I don't know what I would do without LA Weekly and their in-the-knowness. I found out about this amazingness a few days late, but I am determined to hit at least five of their top ten in LA by month's end. Thank God for my YogaWorks membership (which I actually use! Grilled Cheese Month isn't the only miraculous thing at work here, people).


So. I convinced the fiance to do at least part of this adventure with me. (Oh, yes, I'm engaged. My small-but-mighty following already knew that, but for those whose minds were just blown, you can read all about it here.) We decided to have a Sunday night out with dinner and a movie. I chose BreadBar as our first stop-really, how could you go wrong with grilled cheese from a place that specializes in bread? Exactly...you really can't.


We went to the Century City location, which was significantly more crowded than the 3rd Street location that we went to one Saturday night. Of course, then the whole place was empty, so I suppose anything would be an improvement. I ignored the rest of the menu, only searching for the grilled cheese.

Here's the description for the sandwich:

grilled cheese, mozza, cheddar, onion confit, salad

Simple but lovely. And it was.

The cheddar gave a pleasant bite to the taste, while the milder mozza(rella) allowed for the necessary S-T-R-E-T-C-H of the cheese. The onion was caramelized and its sweetness perfectly complemented the savoriness of the cheeses.

The salad that accompanied my sandwich had no dressing. Mixed greens really NEED dressing, in my opinion...but it's not why I was there, so I let it slide. I opted for a combo plate of just half a sandwich along with a cup of the soup of the day, black bean. The soup was pretty smooth but flavorful-it wasn't tomato, but still a nice partner to my 'wich.


My platter

The cheese oozing out...it can't wait for me to eat it!

Note the S-T-R-E-T-C-H of the cheese...

To cap off our lovely date night, what else could we see but Date Night? Pretty funny, actually. I didn't have high hopes for it, but if you like Fey and Carrell, it's a fun time.

Well, loves, that's all for now. I plan to document the rest of my grilled cheese adventures this week, so stay tuned (but as you should know by now, do not hold your breath)...

Cheers!

Em

No comments: